Anti-clutter crew tackles a new market

Mindy Godding

Mindy Godding

A Richmond startup is looking to help Hampton Roads hoarders.

Abundance Organizing in July expanded to Portsmouth to tap into demand in Hampton Roads. The company specializes in helping people deal with everything from clutter to extreme hoarding. This will be the company’s fourth expansion into a new market, and co-owner Mindy Godding said it has plans for more.

“We get a lot of inquiries from that market,” Godding said of Hampton Roads. “Unfortunately, being that our business is here, we’ve been unable to send people down to that part of the state.”

Along with Sara Bereika and Cathy LeHew, Godding launched Abundance Organizing in Richmond in 2010. The company expanded to Kansas City in 2011 and Charlottesville in 2013. Lisa Dailey will head up the Hampton Roads office, Godding said.

The company employs 10 people, including five locally.

Lisa Dailey

Lisa Dailey

In the next 10 years, Godding said the company wants to hire more consultants in its current markets to better meet the demand.

Godding said about 30 percent of its clients just need advice on organization. The other 70 percent need a plan of action and someone to help them carry it out.

In Richmond, the business works with six to 10 clients per week, Godding said. Depending on the time required, jobs can cost anywhere from a couple hundred dollars to tens of thousands of dollars, she said. The average client spends $4,000 on the service, she said.

Abundance is eyeing Denver and Wilmington, N.C., as potential locations, but there’s no timetable for expansion. The company explored franchising locations, but Godding said they’d stick with corporate-owned locations for now.

“We’re dealing with individuals who want to get into the business because they’re passionate about the work,” she said. “When we’ve looked into the franchise model, we find that we meet people who are more interested in investing in a business and not the helpful aspect of what we do. On some level, it kind of loses its soul. My fear is that if we do franchising, we’d only start looking at the bottom line.”

The company’s growth follows a 2012 appearance on TLC’s “Hoarding: Buried Alive.”

Mindy Godding

Mindy Godding

A Richmond startup is looking to help Hampton Roads hoarders.

Abundance Organizing in July expanded to Portsmouth to tap into demand in Hampton Roads. The company specializes in helping people deal with everything from clutter to extreme hoarding. This will be the company’s fourth expansion into a new market, and co-owner Mindy Godding said it has plans for more.

“We get a lot of inquiries from that market,” Godding said of Hampton Roads. “Unfortunately, being that our business is here, we’ve been unable to send people down to that part of the state.”

Along with Sara Bereika and Cathy LeHew, Godding launched Abundance Organizing in Richmond in 2010. The company expanded to Kansas City in 2011 and Charlottesville in 2013. Lisa Dailey will head up the Hampton Roads office, Godding said.

The company employs 10 people, including five locally.

Lisa Dailey

Lisa Dailey

In the next 10 years, Godding said the company wants to hire more consultants in its current markets to better meet the demand.

Godding said about 30 percent of its clients just need advice on organization. The other 70 percent need a plan of action and someone to help them carry it out.

In Richmond, the business works with six to 10 clients per week, Godding said. Depending on the time required, jobs can cost anywhere from a couple hundred dollars to tens of thousands of dollars, she said. The average client spends $4,000 on the service, she said.

Abundance is eyeing Denver and Wilmington, N.C., as potential locations, but there’s no timetable for expansion. The company explored franchising locations, but Godding said they’d stick with corporate-owned locations for now.

“We’re dealing with individuals who want to get into the business because they’re passionate about the work,” she said. “When we’ve looked into the franchise model, we find that we meet people who are more interested in investing in a business and not the helpful aspect of what we do. On some level, it kind of loses its soul. My fear is that if we do franchising, we’d only start looking at the bottom line.”

The company’s growth follows a 2012 appearance on TLC’s “Hoarding: Buried Alive.”

Your subscription has expired. Renew now by choosing a subscription below!

For more informaiton, head over to your profile.

Profile


SUBSCRIBE NOW

TERMS OF SERVICE:

ALL MEMBERSHIPS RENEW AUTOMATICALLY. YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR A 1 YEAR MEMBERSHIP RENEWAL AT THE RATE IN EFFECT AT THAT TIME UNLESS YOU CANCEL YOUR MEMBERSHIP BY LOGGING IN OR BY CONTACTING [email protected]

ALL CHARGES FOR MONTHLY OR ANNUAL MEMBERSHIPS ARE NONREFUNDABLE.

EACH MEMBERSHIP WILL ONLY FUNCTION ON UP TO 3 MACHINES. ACCOUNTS ABUSING THAT LIMIT WILL BE DISCONTINUED.




Return to Homepage

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments