10 construction projects nail down Golden Hammer awards

Before-and-after photos of the Barton Mansion apartments. (Photos courtesy of Historic Richmond)

A Northside mansion’s transformation into apartments and a shipping-container addition at a suburban shopping mall were among area preservation and revitalization projects recognized with Golden Hammer awards this year.

Historic Richmond and Storefront for Community Design honored 10 projects out of 29 nominations received. The co-presenters typically celebrate the awards with an in-person ceremony but, due to the pandemic, announced this year’s winners virtually and over social media.

The Golden Hammer trophy.

The awards recognize builders and designers working in neighborhood revitalization, blight reduction and historic preservation in the region. Winners receive a house-shaped wooden trophy with a gold leaf interior containing an engraved handmade brick. The trophy was designed by local artist Jason Adkins.

Winners in the “best adaptive reuse” category were Clark Glavé’s apartment conversion of the former Barton Mansion in Barton Heights, and McKinnon and Harris’s conversion of a 1940s warehouse near The Diamond into the furniture wholesaler’s new headquarters building.

In addition to Glavé’s ARK Construction and Development Corp., team members on the Barton Mansion project included Joseph F. Yates Architects, landscape architect Nancy Dransfield and Sadler & Whitehead Architects. Firms involved in the McKinnon and Harris project included 3North, Johnson Mirmiran & Thompson, Timmons Group, and Conquest Moncure & Dunn.

Other projects nominated in the category included a batting cage facility in VCU’s Bowe Street parking deck, Maymont Foundation’s headquarters building at 1000 Westover Road, the St. Albans building apartments at 300 E. Main St., and Singlestone’s office at Sauer Center.

Island Shrimp Co.’s shipping-container space won in the new commercial construction category.

“Best new construction, commercial or mixed-use” went to Island Shrimp Co., a restaurant at Chesterfield Towne Center designed using stacked shipping containers. Project members included Kevin Healy’s Housepitality Family, Walter Parks Architects, O’Neil Engineering, Balzer & Associates and JD Lewis Construction Management, among others.

The project beat out fellow nominees City View Marketplace, Libbie Mill’s Penstock Quarter apartments, and the Van de Vyver and The Rosa apartments at Jackson Place.

The new and restored homes at Kensington Park.

“Best new construction, residential and neighborhood infill” went to Kensington Park, Pierce Development’s Fan infill project that added three contemporary-style homes beside a 1920 house that also was restored. Johannas Design Group was the architect. Also nominated in the category were two homes at 1903-1905 Greenwood Ave., a modern-style house at 2308 Idlewood Ave., a shipping-container house at 2415 Everett St., and a three-townhome infill at Monument and Colonial avenues.

One of two awards for “best place-making” went to History is Illuminating, a series of historical markers that were anonymously placed along Monument Avenue during the Black Lives Matter protests this summer. Art center Studio Two Three was the only team member credited.

The other place-making award winner was Rumors of War, the Kehinde Wiley sculpture commissioned by the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts. Other nominees in the category included a Scott’s Addition pocket park at 3401-3403 Moore St., and the Virginia War Memorial’s $26 million expansion.

The home renovation at 2314 Burton St.

“Best single-family residential” went to 2314 Burton St., a restoration of a 1915 Union Hill home by Amanda Seibert’s Nest Builders Development Co. Team members included architect Chris Wolf, Holloway Construction and David Herring. Other nominated restorations included 1203 Idlewood Ave., 1517 Palmyra Ave., and the Hathaway House at 3305 Main St. in Ettrick.

Before-and-after photos of the Midas of Richmond location along Arthur Ashe Boulevard.

“Best restoration” awards went to Midas of Richmond’s location at 1208 N. Arthur Ashe Blvd. and VCU’s Scott House at 700 W. Grace St. Team members on the Midas project included architect Baskervill and contractors Capstone and Hourigan. The Scott House restoration was designed by Glavé & Holmes and involved engineering firms Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates; DMWPV; Engineers Plus; and Draper Aden.

Other restoration nominees included the Garland house at 4603 Sulgrave Road, The Honey Shopbuilding at 405 E. Grace St., and the Straus apartment building at 2025 Monument Ave.

An additional Golden Hammer recognizing community and social impact was awarded this year to Caritas for its Caritas Center, a $28 million conversion of a former Philip Morris complex at 2220 Stockton St. Team members included Walter Parks Architects, Historic Housing, Lu+Smith Engineers, Balzer & Associates; KBS; Flourish Spaces, HG Design Studio and HDAdvisors.

Judges for the awards included Kim Chen with the City of Richmond, Historic Richmond Executive Director Cyane Crump, Better Housing Coalition CEO Greta Harris, Schirra Hayes with Virginia LISC, and Andrea Levine of Modern Richmond. Rounding out the panel were Lane Pearsno with Storefront for Community Design, Baskervill principal Burt Pinnock, Michael Smith with Richmond Memorial Health Foundation, and Camden Whitehead with Sadler & Whitehead.

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
2 Comments
oldest
newest most voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
debbie reading
debbie reading
9 months ago

Congratulations to all! Great projects!

stella lusso
stella lusso
8 months ago

Congratulations to Timmos Group!