Manchester grocery store

This building on Hull Street and West 20th Street in Manchester was once a grocery store. Anyone one know which one? As this area of the city develops this seems like a prime target for reuse. What do you think it should be?

Notify of
guest
6 Comments
oldest
newest most voted
Inline Feedbacks
B. H.
B. H.
10 years ago

I think that used to be a Siegel’s Supermarket in the 1970’s. I don’t know if it was reused as something else since then.

RAS
RAS
10 years ago

If my memory serves me correctly; orginally the location was a Safeway and later was converted to a Community Pride Grocery. I would tear it down and make it a mixed use; residential over retail.

RSweeney
RSweeney
10 years ago

The store is a classic 1960’s Safeway design used all over the USA.
I believe the design was called “Marina” for some reason, probably the prototype.

Nathan Hughes
Nathan Hughes
10 years ago

It was a Community Pride when I lived over that way back in the mid-90’s. My wife and I were just talking about that a couple of weeks ago so I called her on this. She’s over at the Valentine Richmond History Center archives, and they have a photo of it from the late 50s that shows it as Siegels. I’m not sure where people in that area do their grocery shopping now, so maybe….I know this is a stretch…. but maybe a grocery store would work well there? 🙂 A small community grocery, maybe even a clearinghouse for farmers… Read more »

Bryan
Bryan
10 years ago

There was a Safeway just like this in Hopewell where I grew up – if the interior is the same, it has huge laminated wood beams that carry the arch all the way from the front to the back of the store. I remember it as seeming very big and filled with light from the big windows in the front. It would be great if a use could be found for the building that would preserve its distinctive design (surrounded by new development, of course).

Jeremy
Jeremy
8 years ago

It was a Siegel’s and then a Community Pride and far earlier it may have been a Safeway that was picked up by Siegel’s.

It now belongs to a church which is meeting in the old ABC store that is attached and faces Hull Street